As the 2009-10 school year approaches, we wanted take a moment to do a quick spot check one Jeff Hastie’s campaign promises just in case he might imagine voters are not going to be reminded of what he promised last spring.
- Re-open the top 10 contracts and renegotiate them.
- Get parents involved in grant writing.
- Partner with the city.
- Create a finance committee.
- Publish school board resolutions online prior to board meetings so residents can decide in advance if they want to attend a meeting.
- Broadcast or web stream video from school board meetings.
- Put a school board member on the negotiating committee (him) for the next union contract negotiations.
Any others that I missed?
While it is still early it is worth noting that not only was the contract with the district’s lawyers not reopened but was recently re-approved. On the other hand, new outside order has been hired, we have been told the board resolutions will be published on the web starting next month. So, one step forward and one step back. And that if you want to attribute the board resolutions being published online to Jeff Hastie’s campaign promise or two hour lobbying incessantly for the past year on this and other transparency and open government issues. Still, we’ll take allies where we can find them.
BTW, some readers noticed that there is no “Deidre Polow Spot Check”. My thought was “why bother”, the only thing I expect from her was a continued embrace of the status quo and that’s what we’ve gotten. At least with Jeff there is potential for some real change.