The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is interested in information pertaining to fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of local, state, or federal education funds (including information on vendors who receive education funds). Both the Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education take these concerns very seriously. Once an allegation of fraud, waste, or abuse is received, NYSED will take the following actions:
Conduct a preliminary assessment, with one of the following three results:
- Begin audit or review;
- Refer to another agency/authority; or
- Close the case.
Individuals who make an allegation are not required to identify themselves; they may remain anonymous. In such cases, NYSED will assess the information provided, given the constraints of an anonymous contact. Therefore, persons making a complaint may wish to provide contact information in the event additional questions arise.
How to Report
If you have information you would like to report to NYSED you may choose any one of the following reporting methods:
Electronic Complaint Form
Mail:New York State Education Department
Office of Audit Services, Room 524 EB
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
The following are examples of information you may be able to provide. (These documents may be submitted thru mail or e-mail):
- Type of funds or programs involved and the applicable restrictions, rules, or regulations that relate to them.
- What the individual(s) did; include anything done to avoid detection.
- Names of the individual(s) involved, including position, organization address, and telephone number.
- Date(s) of the misconduct or wrongdoing.
- Record, or other documentation to support or validate the concern
When providing information concerning a contractor or grantee fraud, it is helpful to provide the:
- Name and address of the sub and primary contractors, including the responsible official.
- Nature of the wrongdoing (E.g., Intentional misuse of funds for other purposes, cost misappropriation, or conflict of interest).
- Bid, contract, or grant numbers
- Date of the contract or grant award.
- Cost and terms of the contract.