Image from “Yachts and yachting; a magazine devoted to the upbuilding of the noble sport of yachting” (1911)
Title: Yachts and yachting; a magazine devoted to the upbuilding of the noble sport of yachting
Year: 1911 (1910s)
Publisher: Boston, Mass. Hollis Burgess yacht agency
Text Appearing Before Image:
The New Rochelle Yacht Club whose club-house is situated on HarrisonIsland, with its anchorage in beautiful Echo Bay spread out before it, has long been known as one of the foremost yacht clubs on Long Island Sound, and probably the strongest, from the sailing standpoint, in the vicinity of New York.The Club has a membership of over 250, with a fleet of 120 boats which fly the blue and white burgee of the Club.
Text Appearing After Image:
The Club was originally organized in 1885 and for several years had its headquarters on Harrison Island. Later, it moved to the mainland occupying a site in Hudson Park directly on Echo Bay, and in 1901 was moved back again to Harrison Island, occupying the entire island. From its inception, the Club was a leader among those organizations which catered particularly to the sailing element of yachtsmen, the percentage of boat owners being always particular! high. When the first long distance race for small boats from Sandy Hook to Marblehead was planned in 1904, the New Rochelle Yacht Club came to the fore with several entries and, later, when the Bermuda races started, the New Rochelle Yacht Club sent more boats in these contests than any other organization. It has always stood for the very best there was in the sport, and the rocking- chair fleet was usually conspicuous by its absence, the Club devoting its energies more to developing…