NEW YORK, NY –With hot and muggy weather expected the next few days, Con Edison wants to remind customers to use energy wisely, while saving money. New Yorkers can stay cool all summer by following these money-saving conservation tips:
• Set your AC to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat drives up your bill by 6 percent;
• To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside;
• Cook with a microwave or barbecue outside, if possible;
• When the AC is running, close doors to keep cool air in and hot air out;
• Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows;
• Even when using AC, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation;
• Turn off AC units, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer or smart technology to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home;
• Keep AC filters clean;
• Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances.
Con Edison offers a variety of energy-efficiency programs for this summer. The coolNYC programconnects customers with smart technology to control their room air conditioners from their computer or mobile device.