NEW ROCHELLE, NY — In its first full year of operation, the City of New Rochelle Red Light Safety Program has had mixed results on mitigating the level of crash severity at major intersections but a cash cow for the City and its vendor generating close to $2 million in fines on 21,916 Paid Citations in 2017.
The Red Light Safety Program was approved in New Rochelle by the New York State legislature in 2014. An RFP by the City later that year resulted in awarding the contract to Brekford Traffic Safety. The first four cameras went live in April 2016. In 2017, 11 more cameras were installed bringing the total to 15 cameras at 12 intersections.
New York State requires municipalities approved to install and operate Red Light Cameras to file annual reports regarding the operation of the camera.
From 2015 before the program began until 2017 when the 15 cameras were rolled out there has been a 25% increase in “Crash Severity/Property Damage” and 46.4% reduction in “Crash Severity/Injury”. In 2015, there were 67 “Crash Severity/Property Damage” incidents, in 2017 there were 84. There were 28 “Crash Severity/Injury” incidents in 2015 and 13 in 2017.
Brekford is responsible to install and maintain the cameras, to issue and adjudicate citations and collect fines in exchange for 35% of gross revenue.
The total red light camera revenue for 2017 was $1,926,213.18 of which Brekford keeps $674,174.58 and the City of New Rochelle keeps $1,252,038.50.
Based on the number of reported incidents involving property damage and injury, the “most dangerous” intersection with a Red Light Camera in New Rochelle is Main Street and North Avenue with 16 Incidents (16 Property Damage incidents, 0 Injury Incidents). Five of the 15 red light cameras had no incidents at all.
RELATED: 2017 Annual Report on the City of New Rochelle Red Light Traffic Safety Program
List of Red Light Cameras in New Rochelle with date installed:
- Main Street & North Avenue 4/13/2016
- Main Street & Weyman Avenue 4/13/2016
- North Avenue & Lincoln Avenue NB – 4/13/2016
- North Avenue & Lincoln Avenue – SB 4/13/2016
- Main Street & Webster Avenue 6/8/2016
- Huguenot Street & Centre Avenue 6/9/2016
- Lincoln Avenue & Webster Avenue – WB 3/6/2017
- Main Street & Kings Highway 3/6/2017
- Main Street & Stephenson Boulevard – EB 3/6/2017
- North Avenue & Quaker Ridge Road 3/6/2017
- Huguenot Street & North Avenue 4/21/2017
- Main Street & Stephenson Boulevard – WB 4/21/2017
- Webster Avenue & Lincoln Avenue – NB 5/1/2017
- Main Street & Echo Avenue 7/22/2017
- Palmer Avenue & Stephenson Boulevard – EB 9/22/2017