NEW ROCHELLE, NY — New Rochelle firefighters quickly knocked down a fire in a resident’s unit on the second floor within the New Rochelle Home for Adults at 41 Lockwood Avenue in New Rochelle.
There was heavy smoke in the building. NRFD will remain on scene to ventilate. There is water damage to the building with water leaking down into the first floor.
“It could have been a lot worse,” said NRFD Captain Barry Nechis.
With residents put out on the sidewalk in temperatures just above freezing, firefighters were worried about exposure. Residents were directed to the first floor cafeteria. One resident became upset and began throwing chairs in the cafeteria. Police were called and quickly restored order.
There were was one injury. A resident suffered smoke inhalation but refused transport to hospital.