NEW ROCHELLE, NY (August 18, 2022) — A pair of men observed yesterday attempting to gain access to a FedEx mailing box in front of 56 Harrison Street were later found wandering in the Davenport Neck area and arrested. NRPD later determined UPS and FedEx boxes outside New Rochelle had been breached and contents stolen.
Why it matters: Although none of the recovered mail appears to have been stolen in New Rochelle, those in the area who have recently used FedEx or UPS should contact those companies or New Rochelle Police.
- Thomas O. Mensah, 24 of Queens, NY, was charged with Criminal Possession Stolen Property – 2nd, Criminal Mischief – 3rd
- Xavier A. Montgomery, 26, of Queens, NY, was charged with Criminal Possession Stolen Property – 2nd, Criminal Mischief – 3rd and Reckless Driving
UPDATE 8/18/22 1:25 PM
Both men are expected to be arraigned later today in New Rochelle City Court, according to the court clerk’s office.
UPDATE 8/18/22 4:35 PM
Thomas Mensah was produced before Judge Jared R. Rice moments ago. Appearing in handcuffs after 24 hours in the holding cell in the New Rochelle Police headquarters, he was represented by a Legal Aid lawyer who did not enter a plea. Mensah was given a return date of September 2 and ROR’d.
Xavier Montgomery did not appear. The ADA said he was mistakenly let go by the police yesterday but was due back in New Rochelle City Court on September 2 when he is expected to be arraigned.
- Based on a citizen’s report, officers responded to Harrison Street at 4:40 p.m.
- Officers responded looking for two males and a silver SUV without finding them
- The suspect vehicle was soon thereafter observed on Davenport Avenue
- The pair abandoned their vehicle
- Both men were located on Echo Bay Drive
- The suspects were stopped, interviewed, and arrested
What police found:
- Several hundred thousand dollars in checks on them
- A opened assorted mail in the SUV
- FedEx shipping envelopes in the SUV
- FedEx opened envelopes on Echo Bay Drive