PORT CHESTER, NY (March 22, 2026) — State environmental officials have proposed a cleanup plan for a contaminated brownfield site at 28-34 Pearl Street after determining the property poses a “significant threat to public health or the environment,” according to findings by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, in consultation with the state Department of Health.
The determination is based on “the nature of the existing contaminants identified at the Site and the potential for human exposure to site-related contaminants via soil vapors,” officials said.
The DEC is accepting public comments on the proposed cleanup plan, known as a Draft Remedial Action Work Plan, for 45 days from March 12 through April 25, 2026.
The proposed remedy calls for excavation and off-site disposal of approximately 1,100 cubic yards of contaminated soil to depths of about 15 feet below ground surface. The plan also includes treatment of contaminated groundwater through monitored natural attenuation, collection and analysis of post-excavation soil, groundwater and soil vapor samples, and installation of a passive sub-slab depressurization system in a proposed building, with the ability to activate it if needed.
Additional measures include importing clean backfill material meeting soil cleanup objectives and implementing health and safety and community air monitoring plans during ground-intrusive work. If unrestricted use cleanup standards are not achieved, a Site Management Plan and potential environmental easement may be required.
The cleanup plan was developed by 28 Pearl Street Development LLC after a detailed investigation conducted under New York’s Brownfield Cleanup Program.
State officials said the site contains contaminants including volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds, metals and per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) present in soil, groundwater and soil vapor across the property.
The contamination is believed to be linked to historical uses of the site, including a fueling station and auto repair operations, as well as underground and above-ground storage tanks and dry wells potentially connected to floor drains.
The site consists of two parcels totaling 0.45 acres, previously occupied by a single-story commercial building and a two-story single-family dwelling, both demolished between 2022 and 2023.
Proposed redevelopment includes construction of a nine-story residential building with 140 units, including 14 designated as affordable housing, along with 90 parking spaces and approximately 10,000 square feet of interior lobby, leasing and amenity space.
Following the public comment period, the DEC will review feedback, revise the plan as needed and issue a final decision document. The Department of Health must concur before the cleanup plan is finalized. Once approved, the applicant may proceed with cleanup under state oversight.
Project documents are available online through the DECinfo Locator and at the Port Chester-Rye Brook Public Library.
This article was prepared with the assistance of AI tools under the direction and editing of Robert Cox.
Have information about this story? Email robertcox@talkofthesound (preferred) or contact via WhatsApp: +353 089 972 0669.
