A painter working inside a three-family house at 328 Union Avenue smelled smoke and came outside to find a car parked in the driveway fully engulfed in flames. The fire was so intense it broke windows on the side of the house and charred some of the siding before being brought under control.
One witness said the heat could be felt in the street over 25 feet away.
The call came into the New Rochelle Fire Department at about 3:25 PM.
The fire was the result of a battery charger left connected to the car.
“They left the car on a battery charger and went out, it must have been charging all day”, said Deputy Fire Chief John Marshall. “It overcharged it and caught the pick up on fire.
There were no reported injuries.